Screen Nova Scotia is now accepting applications from mid-to-senior level Nova Scotia film & television producers to join a new virtual consultancy program, beginning in March 2021 with consultant work taking place for an estimated two months following the start date. The Newfoundland & Labrador Film Development Corporation (NLFDC) will hire the consultant for this program.
The purpose of this new virtual business development strategy is to address the issue of Atlantic film and television producers not being able to reach international markets with their projects due to the current Covid-19 crisis. Because of the pandemic, Atlantic production companies are now isolated from international markets and challenged to have the ability to get face time and establish relationship with decision-makers either where those decision-makers live (Toronto, Los Angeles, for example) or where they would normally congregate for market events (Content London, EFM, Cannes, etc.). This virtual mission will bridge the gap until travel to markets is once again allowed and safe.
Production companies from Atlantic Canada will be selected to further enhance the promotion of coproduction, joint-financing, and distribution development opportunities between screen industry producers in the Atlantic Provinces and those internationally. The mission will enhance the group’s knowledge of working with producers on an international scale. The NLFDC is the lead for this mission with the support of the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency (ACOA).
Advance Preparation: The NFLDC will engage the services of consultants to achieve meeting targets for producers. Selected applicants will be contacted by the consultant to begin initial virtual discovery sessions via conference call in advance of the mission in order to evaluate company targets. Multiple individual calls (Zoom, Skype, phone) between participants and the consultant may be necessary throughout the timeframe.
Targeted Meetings: The selected consultant will set up a minimum of five virtual (Zoom, Skype, phone) high-level, hand-tailored, project-specific meetings with international decision-makers, for each established production company. These meetings will take place after the targets have been identified.
Producer Fees: Selected producers will need to pay a fee of $1,250 to participate if selected. Screen Nova Scotia will cover 50% of this cost for selected N.S. producers.
Application Process: To be considered for the virtual consultancy program, producers must submit all materials before end of day on Monday, March 15th, 2021. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered. Participants will be selected based on specific criteria, and through a competitive application process. Members of an independent selection committee comprised of experienced and respected members of the national screen industry will review applications and select the participants. The NFLDC will notify all applicants of the status of their application.
Please forward your complete application package to Melanie Solomon, Industry Services & Locations Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the email title “Virtual Consultancy Program – Application”.
Mandatory Application Documents: The following documents must be submitted electronically as individual .PDF files in order for your application to be considered by the jury.
- Personal resume including relevant production credits;
- Company and personal biography;
- A synopsis of each feature film and/or TV series in development (scripted only). Please include a summary of the project’s status to date.
- Project treatment and/or series bible;
- Statement of all relevant attachments including co-producers, writers, directors, funders (one page maximum).
Non-Mandatory Additional Package Elements (if available): Applicants are invited to include any of the following additional package elements with their application.
- Bios of any currently attached key creative positions;
- Marketing and distribution plan and any existing marketing materials;
- Budget top sheets or proposed budget and finance scenario;
- Statement of all additional attachments including pre-sales, development funding, confirmed cast (one page maximum).
- Completed screenplay and/or proposed principal cast.
Producer Criteria for Mid-to-Senior Level Producers:
- Must have a minimum of two full producer credits on completed productions within the last five (5) years of the following nature:
- Television one-off production with a minimum broadcast length of 30 minutes
- Television series production
- Feature film that a) received financing from Telefilm Canada, or NSBI, and/or b) had a budget of $1 million or greater.
- Must have multiple viable projects for international markets
- Must have participated in at least one international market event (can include provincially led business development trips/trade missions).
- Must be a Screen Nova Scotia Producer Member in good standing in advance of the application deadline (for information on membership, click HERE)
*If you feel you do not meet the criteria and are still interested in attending the mission, please contact Industry Services Manager, Melanie Solomon: email@example.com / (902) 229-1499.