Screen Nova Scotia is now accepting applications from mid-to-senior level Nova Scotia film & television producers to join a new virtual Trade Mission Program, beginning in November 2020 and ending in early 2021.
Screen Nova Scotia is hiring a consultant(s) to lead two virtual trade missions early next year: one will focus on documentary and factual projects, and a second for scripted and animation projects.
Faced with the recent challenges of travel due to COVID-19 and the inability to attend in-person industry market events, these Screen Nova Scotia virtual trade missions will be unencumbered by festival and market dates. Producers from across Atlantic Canada are invited to apply to participate via a competitive application process. Once selected, the producers will participate in two phases of the virtual Trade Mission Program:
Phase One: This phase focuses on project and producer readiness training. This includes, but is not limited to, creative script and packaging advice, support in developing pitch materials, and pitch-honing.
Phase Two: This phase will include targeted virtual 1-2-1 meetings being set for producers with market ready projects seeking financing and/or co-production partners, along with sales and distribution opportunities.
This phase will also seek to help enhance the selected producers’ understanding of working with partners on an international scale, and expanding their company and projects reach into the international landscape. To achieve this, the consultant will also organize virtual roundtable discussions by industry experts such as broadcasters, network executives, agents, and world-renowned established producers.
Selected candidates will be contacted by the consultant shortly after notification of their acceptance to the program, to begin the initial discovery phase of the virtual Trade Mission Program 2020/21.
Application Process: To be considered for the Trade Mission Program 2020/21, producers must submit the online application form and all support materials by end of day (5PM AST) on November 18th, 2020. Incomplete and/or late applications will not be considered. Participants will be selected based on specific criteria, and through a competitive application process. Members of an independent selection committee comprised of experienced and respected members of the national screen industry will review applications and select the participants. SNS will notify all applicants of the status of their application by email following the jury meeting.
Please forward your complete application package to Sian Morris Ross, interim Industry Services & Locations Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the email title “Trade Mission Program – Application”. Be sure to clarify in your email which trade mission you are applying for (Scripted/Animation or Doc/Factual) and submit your online Application Form at the same time — link below – so all materials are received together.
Producer Fee: Selected Nova Scotian producers will be required to pay a $500 + HST CAD participation fee.
Online Application Form: Click HERE (for Scripted/Animation) or HERE (for Documentary/Factual) to complete and submit. You may apply for both missions but please indicate your preference as your applications will be juried separately.
Mandatory Application Documents: The following documents must be submitted electronically as individual .PDF files in order for your application to be considered by the jury.
- Personal resume including relevant production credits;
- Company and personal biography;
- A synopsis of your feature film, TV series, or new media project(s) in development (scripted/animation/factual/reality/unscripted) in development. Please include a summary of the project’s status to date.
- Project treatment and/or series bible;
- Statement of all relevant attachments including co-producers, writers, directors, funders (one page maximum).
Non-Mandatory Additional Package Elements (if available): Applicants are invited to include any of the following additional package elements with their application.
- Bios of any currently attached key creative positions;
- Marketing and distribution plan and any existing marketing materials;
- Budget top sheets or proposed budget and finance scenario;
- Statement of all additional attachments including pre-sales, development funding, confirmed cast (one page maximum).
- Completed screenplay and/or proposed principal cast.
Producer Criteria: Mid-to-Senior Level Producers:
- Must have a minimum of two full producer credits on completed productions within the last five (5) years of the following nature:
- Television one-off production with a minimum broadcast length of 30 minutes (Factual, Documentary, Scripted, Animated)
- Television series production (Factual, Documentary, Scripted, Animated)
- Feature film that a) received financing from the Digital Animation Tax Credit (DATC), Telefilm Canada, Film & Creative Industries Nova Scotia or NSBI and/or b) had a budget of $1 million or greater.
- Digital media production that a) received funding from the Digital Animation Tax Credit (DATC), Canada Media Fund, Bell Fund, Independent Production Fund, Film & Creative Industries Nova Scotia, or NSBI and/or b) has achieved distribution on a reputable nationally recognized platform.
- Must have at least one project in development.
- Must have participated in at least one international market event (can include provincially led business development trips/trade missions).
- Must be a Screen Nova Scotia Producer Member in good standing in advance of the application deadline (for information on membership, click HERE)
*If you feel you do not meet the criteria and are still interested in attending the mission, please contact Industry Services Manager, Sian Morris Ross: email@example.com / (902) 229-1499.