Screen Nova Scotia is now accepting applications from established Nova Scotia film & television producers (across all genres) to join a Pan-Atlantic business development trip to Los Angeles, California, scheduled for March 7th to 11th, 2022.
Established producers from Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Labrador, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island will be selected to further enhance the promotion of co-production, joint-financing, and distribution development opportunities between producers in the Atlantic Provinces and those in the United States. The mission will enhance the group’s knowledge of working with producers on an international scale.
Screen Nova Scotia is the lead for this mission and will coordinate directly with the consultant throughout the entire contract. A delegate from Screen Nova Scotia will also be on the ground during the mission to help with logistical planning.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PRODUCERS
Industry Consultant: A consultant will be hired to provide matchmaking services. The consultant will work with selected producers in arranging and scheduling meetings with identified targets resulting from pre-market consultant work. Applicants will be notified of the consultant once they are selected in early January, and will be contacted by the consultant shortly thereafter to begin initial discovery sessions via conference calls in advance of the mission.
The consultant will arrange a minimum of 4-6 targeted meetings for producers based on their individual needs. Where appropriate, group sessions may also be arranged. Currently, meetings are planned to take place from March 7th to 11th, 2022.
Travel Assistance: Nova Scotia producers can apply for travel assistance (flights, accommodation, registration and ground transport) via NSBI’s Export Development Program. We strongly urge you to apply as soon as possible, as applications must be approved before producer travel. If you have questions about the program, you can contact Scottina Jackson, Export Program Administrator at NSBI at (t) 902-424-5739 / (e) firstname.lastname@example.org
COVID-19: A reminder that if the event is unable to occur in person due to the COVID-19 pandemic, one-on-one meetings will be held virtually during the same dates. The decision to move from an in-person to a virtual event will be based on the Government of Canada travel advisories HERE.
Flights & Accommodations: Producers will be responsible for booking their own travel and accommodations for this trip. The delegation must be on the ground for meetings in Los Angeles by the morning of March 7th, 2022 (subject to change).
Cost: The cost for participating Nova Scotia producers is $1,250 CAD. Screen Nova Scotia will cover 50% of this fee for chosen NS participants.
APPLICATION INFO & ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Application Process: To be considered for the LA mission, producers must submit the online application form and all support materials by the extended deadline of 9:00 a.m. on Monday, January 10th, 2022. Incomplete applications will not be considered. NS participants will be selected based on specific criteria, and through a competitive application process. Members of an independent selection committee (comprised of experienced and respected members of the national screen industry) will review applications and select the participants. SNS will notify all applicants of the status of their application by email following the jury meeting in early January.
Please forward your complete application package to Melanie Solomon, Industry Services & Locations Manager (email@example.com) with the email title “LA Application 2022”. There is no fee to apply or participate in the mission.
Mandatory Support Documents: The following documents must be submitted electronically as individual .PDF files in order for your application to be considered by the jury.
- Personal resume including relevant production credits
- Company and personal biography
- A synopsis of your feature film, television or new media project (including a summary of the project’s status to date)
- Project screenplay treatment and/or series bible
- Statement of all relevant attachments including co-producers, writers, director (one-page maximum)
Non-Mandatory Additional Package Elements (if available): Applicants are invited to include any of the following additional package elements.
- Completed screenplay
- Proposed principal cast
- Bios of any currently attached key creative positions
- Marketing and distribution plan and any existing marketing materials
- Budget top sheets or proposed budget and finance scenario
- Statement of all additional attachments including pre-sales, development funding, confirmed cast (one-page maximum).
Producer Criteria: This is a producer mission for senior-level producers. Please see below for minimum eligibility criteria.
- Must have a minimum of two full producer credits on completed productions within the last five (5) years of the following nature:
- Television one-off production with a minimum broadcast length of 30 minutes
- Television series production
- Feature film that a) received financing from Telefilm Canada or NSBI or b) had a budget of $1 million or greater
- Digital media production that a) received funding from the Canada Media Fund, Bell Fund, Independent Production Fund, or NSBI and/or b) has achieved distribution on a reputable nationally recognized platform
- Must have at least one project in development (all genres are eligible)
- Must have participated in at least one international market or festival event (can include provincially led business development trips/trade missions).
- Must be a Screen Nova Scotia Producer Member in good standing (for information on membership, click HERE).
*If you feel you do not meet the criteria and are still interested in attending the mission, please contact Industry Services Manager, Melanie Solomon (firstname.lastname@example.org).