Screen Nova Scotia is now accepting applications from mid-to-senior level Nova Scotia producers to join a Pan-Atlantic business development trip to Berlin, Germany to take place during the European Film Market (EFM) from February 15th – 21st 2024.
Seven producers from across the Atlantic provinces will be selected to further enhance the promotion of co-production, joint-financing, distribution and development opportunities between screen industry producers in the Atlantic provinces and those internationally. The mission will enhance the group’s knowledge of working with producers on an international scale.
Picture NL (formerly NLFDC) is the lead for this mission and will coordinate directly with the consultant throughout the entire contract. A delegate from Screen Nova Scotia will also be on the ground during the mission to help with logistical planning.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PRODUCERS
Industry Consultant: A consultant will be hired to provide matchmaking services and on the ground consulting services while in Berlin. The consultant will work with selected producers in arranging and scheduling meetings with identified targets resulting from pre-market consultant work. Applicants will be notified of the consultant once they are selected in early December, and will be contacted by the consultant shortly thereafter to begin initial discovery sessions via conference calls in advance of the mission.
The consultant will arrange a minimum of 4-6 targeted meetings for producers based on their individual needs. Where appropriate, group sessions may also be arranged. Currently, meetings are planned to take place from February 15 to 21, 2024.
Flights, Accommodations, and Travel Assistance: Producers will be responsible for booking their own travel and accommodations for this trip. The delegation must be on the ground for meetings by the morning of February 15, 2024 (subject to change). Nova Scotia producers can apply for travel assistance (flights, accommodation, and ground transport) via the Creative Industries Fund from the Department of Communities, Culture, Tourism and Heritage. The deadline to apply for funding is December 15, 2023. Please contact Jamie MacLellan, Manager, Creative Industries, for more information: (t) 902-222-3069 / (e) Jamie.MacLellan@novascotia.ca.
Cost: The cost for participating Nova Scotia producers will be determined post-application. Screen Nova Scotia will cover 50% of this fee for chosen participants.
APPLICATION INFO & ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Application Process: To be considered for this EFM/Berlinale mission, producers must submit all application materials by the deadline of 3 p.m. on Tuesday, November 14, 2023. Incomplete/late applications will not be considered.
NS participants will be selected based on specific criteria, and through a competitive application process. Members of an independent selection committee (comprised of experienced and respected members of the national screen industry) will review applications and select the participants. SNS will notify all applicants of the status of their application by email following the jury meeting.
Please forward your complete application package to Melanie Solomon, Industry Services & Locations Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the email title “Berlinale/EFM Application”. There is no fee to apply.
Mandatory Support Documents: The following documents must be submitted electronically as individual .PDF files in order for your application to be considered by the jury.
- Personal resume including relevant production credits
- Company and personal biography
- A synopsis of your project (including format and a summary of the project’s status to date)
- Project screenplay treatment and/or series bible
- Statement of all relevant attachments including companies, co-producers, writers, director (one-page maximum)
Non-Mandatory Additional Package Elements (if available): Applicants are invited to include any of the following additional package elements.
- Completed screenplay
- Bios of any currently attached principal cast and/or key creative positions
- Marketing and distribution plan and any existing marketing materials
- Budget top sheets or proposed budget and finance scenario
- Statement of all additional attachments including pre-sales, development funding, confirmed cast (one-page maximum).
Producer Criteria: This is a producer mission for mid-to-senior-level producers who work in the film and television industry. Please see below for minimum eligibility criteria.
- Must have a minimum of two full producer credits on completed productions within the last five (5) years of the following nature:
- Television one-off production with a minimum broadcast length of 30 minutes
- Television series production
- Feature film that a) received financing from Telefilm Canada, NSBI or Department of Communities, Culture, Tourism and Heritage (CCTH) b) had a budget of $1 million or greater
- Must have at least one project in development.
- Must have participated in at least one international market or festival event (can include provincially led business development trips/trade missions).
- Must be a Screen Nova Scotia Producer Member in good standing (for information on membership, click HERE).
Please note: Screen Nova Scotia strives to ensure that 25% of program placements will be filled by diverse voices. If you are a member of an equity-seeking or sovereignty-seeking community who does not meet all of the eligibility criteria but can fulfill the application requirements, please self-identify in your application email. If you have any questions about this process, contact Melanie Solomon, Industry Services & Locations Manager: email@example.com / 902-229-1499.