Screen Nova Scotia is now accepting applications from mid-to-senior level Nova Scotia animation producers to join a Pan-Atlantic business development trip to Annecy, France, for the Annecy International Animation Film Festival and Market (Mifa) from June 11-17, 2023.
This delegation will enhance the promotion of coproduction, joint-financing, distribution and development opportunities between animation producers and companies in the Atlantic Provinces, and those internationally.
The Annecy International Animation Film Festival and Market (Mifa) is the major international event for over 8000 industry professionals working in animation. Meet with top industry professionals to discuss, network, and make acquisitions — click HERE for more information.
Screen Nova Scotia will partner with Telefilm Canada and the Canada Pavillion to provide a designated meeting space for producers for the duration of the program. Additionally, selected producers will be included in all SNS marketing materials created for the event. A delegate from Screen Nova Scotia will also be on the ground during the mission to help with logistical planning.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PRODUCERS
COVID-19: A reminder that if the event is unable to occur in person due to the COVID-19 pandemic, one-on-one meetings will be held virtually during the same dates. The decision to move from an in-person to a virtual event will be based on the Government of Canada travel advisories HERE.
Flights, Accommodations, and Travel Assistance: Producers will be responsible for booking their own travel and accommodations for this trip. The delegation must be on the ground for meetings by the morning of June 13, 2022 (subject to change). NS producers can apply for travel assistance (flights, accommodation, and ground transport) via the Creative Industries Fund from the Department of Communities, Culture, Tourism and Heritage. Please contact Jamie MacLellan, Manager, Creative Industries, for more information: (t) 902-222-3069 / (e) Jamie.MacLellan@
Please note: this is a producer delegation and not a mission – there will not be a consultant hired for this trip.
APPLICATION INFO & ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Application Process: To be considered for the Annecy delegation, producers must submit all required support materials by end of the day (5 p.m. AST) on March 31, 2023. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Participants will be selected based on specific criteria, and through a competitive application process. Members of an independent selection committee (comprised of experienced and respected members of the national screen industry) will review applications and select the participants. SNS will notify all applicants of the status of their application by email following the jury meeting.
Please forward your complete application package to Melanie Solomon, Industry Services & Locations Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the email title “Annecy 2023 Application”. There is no fee to apply.
Mandatory Support Documents: The following documents must be submitted electronically as individual .PDF files in order for your application to be considered by the jury.
- Personal resume including relevant production credits
- Company and personal biography
- A synopsis of your animation project (including format and a summary of the project’s status to date)
- Project screenplay treatment and/or series bible
- Statement of all relevant attachments including companies, co-producers, writers, directors, animators, etc. (one-page maximum)
Non-Mandatory Additional Package Elements (if available): Applicants are invited to include any of the following additional package elements.
- Completed screenplay
- Bios of any currently attached principal cast and/or key creative positions
- Marketing and distribution plan and any existing marketing materials
- Budget top sheets or proposed budget and finance scenario
- Statement of all additional attachments including pre-sales, development funding, and confirmed cast (one-page maximum).
Producer Criteria: This is a producer mission for mid-to-senior-level producers who work in anmation. Please see below for the minimum eligibility criteria.
- Must apply as a representative of a company registered in Nova Scotia under the Registry of Joint Stocks.
- Must have a minimum of two full producer credits on completed productions within the last five (5) years of the following nature:
- Television one-off production with a minimum broadcast length of 30 minutes
- Television series production
- Feature film that a) received financing from Telefilm Canada or NSBI or b) had a budget of $1 million or greater
- Digital media production that a) received funding from the province of Nova Scotia (Digital Animation Tax Credit), Canada Media Fund, Bell Fund, Independent Production Fund, or NSBI and/or b) has achieved distribution on a reputable nationally recognized platform.
- Must have at least one animation project in development.
- Must have participated in at least one international market or festival event (can include provincially led business development trips/trade missions).
- Must be a Screen Nova Scotia Producer Member in good standing (for information on membership, click HERE).
Please note: Screen Nova Scotia strives to ensure that diverse voices will fill 25% of program placements. If you are a member of an equity-seeking or sovereignty-seeking community who does not meet all of the eligibility criteria but can fulfill the application requirements, please self-identify in your application email. If you have any questions about this process, contact Melanie Solomon, Industry Services & Locations Manager: melanie@