Screen Nova Scotia is now accepting applications from mid-to-senior level Nova Scotia film & television producers to join a business development trip to Los Angeles, California, scheduled for March 11th-15th, 2019.
Led by Newfoundland & Labrador Film Development Corporation (NLFDC), producers from Nova Scotia and Newfoundland will be selected to further enhance the promotion of co-production, joint-financing, and distribution development opportunities between screen industry producers in the Atlantic Provinces and those in the United States. The mission will enhance the group’s knowledge of working with producers on an international scale.
Industry Consultant: A consultant will be hired to provide matchmaking service on the ground to arrange appropriate meetings for producers with companies in Los Angeles. The consultant will work with participants in arranging and scheduling meetings with identified targets resulting from pre-market consultant work. Applicants will be notified of the consultant once they are selected in early January, and will be contacted by the consultant shortly thereafter to begin initial discovery sessions via conference calls in advance of the mission.
The consultant will arrange a minimum of 4-6 targeted meetings for producers based on their individual needs. Where appropriate, group sessions may also be arranged. Currently, the majority of meetings are planned to take place from March 11th – 15th. Please share your travel itinerary with the consultant and SNS in order to best accommodate your schedule.
Travel Assistance: Nova Scotia producers can apply for travel assistance (flights, accomodation and ground transport) via NSBI’s Export Growth Program. If this will be your first time applying, we recommend contacting Yuliya Demish, Export Development Executive, for more information on the application process: (t) 902-424-5054 / (e) firstname.lastname@example.org
Flights & Accommodations: Filmmakers will be responsible for booking their own travel and accommodations for this trip. The delegation must be on the ground, for meetings in Los Angeles by the morning of March 11th, 2019 (subject to change). The NLFDC will have a block booking of rooms available to delegates at a selected hotel and will provide a discount code for Air Canada. Details to follow.
Application Process: To be considered for the LA mission, producers must submit the online application form and all support materials by end of day on Tuesday, January 1st, 2019. Incomplete applications will not be considered. NS participants will be selected based on specific criteria, and through a competitive application process. Members of an independent selection committee (comprised of experienced and respected members of the national screen industry) will review applications and select the participants. SNS will notify all applicants of the status of their application by email following the jury meeting, in early January.
Please forward your complete application package to Melanie Solomon, Industry Services & Locations Manager (email@example.com) with the email title “LA Application 2019”. Be sure to submit your online Application Form at the same time, so all materials are received together. There is no fee to apply or participate in the mission.
Online Application Form: Click HERE to complete and submit.
Mandatory Support Documents: The following documents must be submitted electronically as individual PDF files in order for your application to be considered by the jury.
- Personal resume including relevant film, television & new media production credits;
- Company and personal biography;
- A synopsis of your feature film, television or new media project (including a summary of the project’s status to date);
- Project screenplay treatment and/or series bible;
- Statement of all relevant attachments including co-producers, writers, director (one page maximum).
Non-Mandatory Additional Package Elements (if available): Applicants are invited to include any of the following additional package elements.
- Completed screenplay;
- Proposed principal cast;
- Bios of any currently attached key creative positions;
- Marketing and distribution plan and any existing marketing materials;
- Budget top sheets or proposed budget and finance scenario;
- Statement of all additional attachments including pre-sales, development funding, confirmed cast (one page maximum).
Producer Criteria: Mid to Senior Level Producers (Please note: while this mission is focused on mid-to-senior level producers, other 2019 producer missions will be designed specifically for emerging producers — please stay tuned!)
- Must have a minimum of two full producer credits on completed productions within the last five (5) years of the following nature:
- Television one-off production with a minimum broadcast length of 30 minutes
- Television series production
- Feature film that a) received financing from Telefilm Canada, Film & Creative Industries Nova Scotia or NSBI or b) had a budget of $1 million or greater
- Digital media production that a) received funding from the Canada Media Fund, Bell Fund, Independent Production Fund, Film & Creative Industries Nova Scotia, or NSBI and/or b) has achieved distribution on a reputable nationally recognized platform
- Must have at least one project in development
- Must have participated in at least one international market or festival event (can include provincially led business development trips/trade missions)
- Must be a Screen Nova Scotia Producer Member (for information on membership, click HERE)
*If you feel you do not meet the criteria and are still interested in attending the mission, please contact Industry Services Manager, Melanie Solomon: firstname.lastname@example.org / (902) 229-1499.