Screen Nova Scotia is now accepting applications from mid-to-senior level Nova Scotia documentary/factual producers to join a Pan-Atlantic producer mission to Toronto, Ontario from May 3 – May 8, 2020 that takes place during Hot Docs.
Five Nova Scotia producers, along with a representative from Screen Nova Scotia, will be selected to attend Hot Docs, North America’s largest documentary festival.With exceptional professional development, networking, and business opportunities, Hot Docs is considered an essential market for documentary producers at all career levels. For more information on Hot Docs, click HERE.
Industry Consultant: To help ensure producers are prepared for the trip, SNS will engage the services of a consultant for on the ground consulting services while at Hot Docs. Applicants will be notified of the consultant once they are selected. Selected candidates will be contacted by the consultant shortly thereafter to begin initial discovery sessions via conference call in advance of the mission.
Travel Assistance: Nova Scotia producers can apply for travel assistance (flights, accommodation and ground transport) via NSBI’s Export Growth Program. If this will be your first time applying, we recommend contacting Yuliya Demish, Export Development Executive, for more information on the application process: (t) 902-424-5054 / (e) email@example.com
Flights & Accommodations: Filmmakers will be responsible for booking their own travel and accommodations for this trip. The delegation must be on the ground for meetings in Toronto by the morning of May 3, 2020.
Application Process: To be considered for the Hot Docs mission, producers must submit the online application form and all support materials by end of day on Thursday, February 20. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Participants will be selected based on specific criteria, and through a competitive application process. Members of an independent selection committee (comprised of experienced and respected members of the national screen industry) will review applications and select the participants. SNS will notify all applicants of the status of their application by email following the jury meeting, in mid-November.
Please forward your complete application package to Melanie Solomon, Industry Services & Locations Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the email title “Hot Docs Application 2020”. Be sure to submit your online Application Form at the same time, so all materials are received together. There is no fee to apply or participate in the mission.
Online Application Form: Click HERE to complete and submit.
Mandatory Support Documents: The following documents must be submitted electronically as individual PDF files in order for your application to be considered by the jury.
- Personal resume including relevant film, television & new media production credits;
- Company and personal biography;
- A synopsis of your documentary film, television or new media project (factual/reality/unscripted), including a summary of the project’s status to date;
- Project treatment and/or series bible;
- Statement of all relevant attachments including co-producers, writers, directors, broadcasters (one page maximum).
Non-Mandatory Additional Package Elements (if available): Applicants are invited to include any of the following additional package elements.
- Bios of any currently attached key creative positions;
- Marketing and distribution plan and any existing marketing materials;
- Budget top sheets or proposed budget and finance scenario;
- Statement of all additional attachments including pre-sales, development funding, confirmed cast (one page maximum).
Producer Criteria: Mid-to-Senior Level Documentary/Factual Producers
- Must have a minimum of two full producer credits on completed productions within the last five (5) years of the following nature:
- Television one-off production with a minimum broadcast length of 30 minutes (unscripted)
- Television series production (unscripted)
- Documentary Feature film that a) received financing from Telefilm Canada, Film & Creative Industries Nova Scotia or NSBI or b) had a budget of $1 million or greater.
- Must have at least one project in development
- Must have participated in at least one international market or festival event (can include provincially led business development trips/trade missions)
- Must be a Screen Nova Scotia Producer Member (for information on membership, click HERE)
*If you feel you do not meet the criteria and are still interested in attending the mission, please contact Industry Services Manager, Melanie Solomon: melanie@