Screen Nova Scotia is now accepting applications from Nova Scotia film & television producers to join a business development trip to Berlin, Germany from February 7th – 15th, 2019 for the European Film Market (EFM), held during the Berlinale Film Festival.
Led by Newfoundland & Labrador Film Development Corporation (NLFDC), 16 mid-to-senior level producers from the Atlantic provinces (seven from NL, seven from NS, and two from PEI) will be selected to further enhance the promotion of co-production, joint-financing, and distribution development opportunities between screen industry producers in the Atlantic Provinces and those internationally. The mission will enhance the group’s knowledge of working with producers on an international scale.
Industry Consultant: To help ensure producers are prepared for the trip, the NFLDC will engage the services of a consultant for on-the-ground consulting services while in Berlin. All applicants will be notified of the consultant once they are selected in mid-November. Once selected, the consultant will be contacting producers shortly thereafter to begin initial discovery sessions via conference call in advance of the mission.
The consultant will arrange a minimum of 4-6 targeted meetings for producers based on their individual needs. Where appropriate, group sessions may also be arranged for some of the group. The majority of meetings will take place from February 7th-11th.
Travel Assistance: Nova Scotia producers can apply for travel assistance (flights, accomodation, registration and ground transport) via NSBI’s Export Growth Program. If this will be your first time applying, we recommend contacting Yuliya Demish, Export Development Executive, for more information on the application process: (t) 902-424-5054 / (e) email@example.com
Flights & Accommodations: Filmmakers will be responsible for booking their own travel and accommodations for this trip. The delegation must be on the ground in Berlin by end of day, February 6th, 2019 (subject to change).
EFM Registration: It is recommended, but not mandatory that participants Register for EFM in order to gain access to the Canadian Pavilion located in Gropius Bau. Badge types can be found HERE. Please let the Consultant know if you plan on registering for the event.
Application Process: As noted above, there are seven seats available to NS producers/companies. To be considered, producers must submit the online application form and all support materials by end of day (5PM ADT) Wednesday, November 14th. Incomplete applications will not be considered. NS participants will be selected based on specific criteria, and through a competitive application process. Members of an independent selection committee (comprised of experienced and respected members of the national screen industry) will review applications and select the participants. SNS will notify all applicants of the status of their application by email following the jury meeting.
Please forward your complete application package to Melanie Solomon, Industry Services & Locations Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the email title “EFM Application 2019”. Be sure to submit your online Application Form at the same time, so all materials are received together. There is no fee to apply or participate in the mission.
Online Application Form: Click HERE to complete and submit.
Mandatory Support Documents: The following documents must be submitted electronically as individual PDF files in order for your application to be considered by the jury.
- Personal resume including relevant film, television & new media production credits;
- Company and personal biography;
- A synopsis of your feature film, television or new media project (including a summary of the project’s status to date);
- Project screenplay treatment and/or series bible;
- Statement of all relevant attachments including co-producers, writers, director (one page maximum).
Non-Mandatory Additional Package Elements (if available): Applicants are invited to include any of the following additional package elements.
- Completed screenplay;
- Proposed principal cast;
- Bios of any currently attached key creative positions;
- Marketing and distribution plan and any existing marketing materials;
- Budget top sheets or proposed budget and finance scenario;
- Statement of all additional attachments including pre-sales, development funding, confirmed cast (one page maximum).
Producer Criteria: Mid to Senior Level Producers (Note: while this mission is focused on mid-to-senior level producers, other 2019 producer missions will be designed specifically for emerging producers — please stay tuned!)
- Must have a minimum of two full producer credits on completed productions within the last five (5) years of the following nature:
- Television one-off production with a minimum broadcast length of 30 minutes
- Television series production
- Feature film that a) received financing from Telefilm Canada, Film & Creative Industries Nova Scotia or NSBI or b) had a budget of $1 million or greater
- Digital media production that a) received funding from the Canada Media Fund, Bell Fund, Independent Production Fund, Film & Creative Industries Nova Scotia, or NSBI and/or b) has achieved distribution on a reputable nationally recognized platform
- Must have at least one project in development
- Must have participated in at least one international market or festival event (can include provincially led business development trips/trade missions)
- Must be a Screen Nova Scotia Producer Member (for information on membership, click HERE)
*If you feel you do not meet the criteria and are still interested in attending the mission, please contact Industry Services Manager, Melanie Solomon (email@example.com).